The frontman of award-winning South African house trio Mi Casa, J’Something, doesn't profess to be a chef. (He's known for his music, after all.) But he is "a guy that really loves food and cooking".
This is great news for us, because J'Something has teamed up with SAB to produce some of the most delicious beer-infused recipes you've ever put your lips to. Best of all: they're simple and quick to make – any novice in the kitchen could throw them together.
This recipe got our attention right away. Stout. Candied. Bacon. Seriously? What's not to like? And as the mercury rises and people start to gather around the braai, you might consider dishing out this incredible snack while you wait for the wors and chops. It comes with a warning though: this stuff, it's addictive.
Stout candied bacon
Difficulty: Very easy
Serve: as a snack
Hands-on time: 20 min
Total time: 40 min
- 500g smoked streaky bacon
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Castle Milk Stout
- 2 tbsp peri-peri sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C
- Combine sugar, Castle Milk Stout and peri-peri sauce in a bowl
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and lay bacon on top. The bacon strips can overlap slightly as they will shrink
- Grill bacon in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, then remove and brush both sides with stout peri-peri syrup and return to oven
- Repeat this process until bacon is crispy and golden, not burnt or hard
- Remove from the oven once done and cool on a wire rack for 10-20 minutes until set
The final step: serve to your wildly impressed guests and soak up the praise.